July 31, 2014 by Sean
Filed under Citrus Varieties, Clementines, Dazzling Deep Red Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Honey Tangerines, Honeybell Oranges - Honeybells, Robinson Tangerines, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Tangerines, White Grapefruit
People of all ages love Florida oranges because they are the sweetest and better tasting. But the usual oranges like Navels, Valencias and Temples, are not the only citrus varieties offering wonderful health benefits. Explore other varieties from the citrus family tree, sensations of health that are richly luscious and loaded with Vitamin C:
- Clementine – A relative of the tangerine, this small, sweet, and usually seedless variety of mandarin is best whole or in salads. They are available November through January.
- Tangelo – The most popular Florida tangelo variety available is the Minneola Tangelo, often called the Honeybell Tangelo. Known by its distinctive bell shape, the result of a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit for a remarkably sweet and juicy fruit. Honeybells are in season from January through February.
- Tangerines – Tangerines are small, dark orange fruits with a smooth, easy-to-peel skin and a deep orange color. They have a richly sweet flavor and are easy to pull-apart due to their naturally formed segments. Tangerines are ideal for desserts or as a sweet nibble and are readily available November through April.
- Ortaniques – The Ortanique is a cross between a sweet Valencia Orange and a Tangerine. Ortaniques are bright orange color with a rich sweet flavor, and are easy to peel and section. This wonderful hybrid blend received its truly unique name from OR-orange, TAN-gerine, un-IQUE. Like other premium citrus, they’re simply not available in supermarkets, but are found online directly from Florida growers and are available March thru Mid-April.
Grapefruits are known for their tangy sweet taste. Interior fruit colors range from bright pink, deep red to white. Perfect for peeling, cutting, sectioning and juicing, the grapefruit can be eaten as a refreshing snack, in salads and recipes or just drink their wholesome juice. The Florida grapefruit varieties available nationwide are:
- Dark Red Grapefruit – Also known as Flame, Ray or Star. The fruit is known for its exceptionally intense dark red, seedless interior and sweet flavor with hardly any bitterness. The rind is smooth and yellow with blush pigmentation. This grapefruit variety is in season from October through June.
- Red Grapefruit – Often called the Ruby Red Grapefruit, this type of grapefruit is known for its lighter red interior color and also for being seedless. The rind is smooth and yellow with a red blush. Ruby Red’s sweet flavor and seedless characteristics make it perfect for sectioning. They are in season from October through April.
- White grapefruit – Sweet White Grapefruit are a welcome guest at any connoisseur’s table. Known for their thin smooth skin and big roll-up-your-sleeves flavor, filled with an abundance of sweet invigorating juice, they are perfect for fresh eating, salads and refreshing juice. They are in season from November through April.
All around Florida, visitors may see citrus fruit such as the Indian River oranges being sold. These fresh citrus oranges are some of the healthiest fruits on the planet and make delicious pure orange juice. For those who have not tried these Florida oranges, you should definitely buy them because they are amazingly sweeter and better tasting than others on the market.
Fresh fruit like oranges are extremely healthy for everyone, which makes them an ideal staple at home and as citrus gifts. Juice that is made from premium grade Florida oranges makes an excellent nutrient-rich beverage. If you are thinking of something to give your clients, boss, friends, or loved ones, you may want to consider giving them the gift of health and you can order oranges online from the comfort of your home.
Premium citrus from Florida is rich in antioxidants; in fact, just an 8-ounce glass of orange juice made from Florida oranges already contains 100 percent of the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin C. Antioxidants are crucial for helping the body delay signs of aging as well as fight chronic diseases by fighting the presence of free radicals. When you send fresh oranges, you are giving a fruit gift that has the highest Vitamin C content. Your recipients will love a gift basket overflowing with a variety of freshly picked oranges.
Buying Florida oranges online is an excellent gift for any occasion and provides incredible health benefits with an extremely delicious taste. When you mail order oranges from Florida, you are also helping others have better heart health. Consuming pure orange juice helps normalize cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure functions, and it may ease inflammation. If you rather have a lighter version of the orange juice, use a fresh fruit infuser to combine both juice and water, and add orange slices.
Shipping fruit from Florida is a great and convenient gift idea that is also healthy and affordable. When you buy Florida fruit gifts, you are already getting the best citrus. So, if you are not sure about what gift to buy for a special occasion or the holidays, remember that citrus fruit baskets are a unique way to surprise your recipient who will surely enjoy them!
There are many occasions throughout the year, which are excellent opportunities to show you care with hand-selected orange gift baskets, especially those that contain Navel Oranges. People enjoy receiving fresh citrus basket gifts, specially oranges because they are the ideal variety for that perfect glass of orange juice.
The Navels are sweet and have a thicker skin, which makes them easier to peel for consumption or juicing. The appearance of a navel on the orange is the result of a mutation dating back to the 1800’s in Brazil. This first navel orange was then sent to the USDA in Washington, D.C. and from there throughout the United States. Essentially, all navel oranges can be tracked to the original in 1800’s.Navel Oranges are one of the most sought-after orange varieties. Round or oval, this seedless orange variety is propagated through cuttings. Fresh Navel Oranges are readily available throughout the winter until late spring. Ideal for fruit baskets to be consumed fresh or in fruit salads, as well as for extracting their juice. They are also often processed as jams and preserves.
As is the case with other citrus fruit, Navel Oranges are rich in Vitamin C and other antioxidants. They are a great source of beta-carotene and dietary fiber, with considerable amounts of potassium, calcium, iron, manganese and B Vitamins. Best for a healthy diet, Navels are low in calories and very low in fat and cholesterol, yet rich in nutrients.
The high levels of Vitamin C boost the immune system to fight diseases. It enables the body to absorb iron and calcium more efficiently. The high dietary fiber content in Navel Oranges helps control diabetes and lowering cholesterol levels. Beta-carotene is good for preventing cell damage and calcium promotes bone health. Vitamin B6 increases the production of hemoglobin in the blood, while the high levels of potassium aid in maintaining electrolyte balance in cells. Lastly, the magnesium in Navels is good for regulating blood pressure.
It is greatly beneficial to consume fresh Navel Orange juice rather than consuming the store-bought kind. This is due to the preservatives added in commercially prepared juice, which diminish or cancel most of the health benefits offered by this type of oranges.
Florida Navel Oranges are an ideal holiday gift because of their festive freshness and rich, sweet juice. The Sunshine State of Florida provides the ideal conditions for a great tasting orange that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Navels are hand-selected at the peak of flavor, as all premium Florida citrus fruits are, during their season that starts in November through January.
There are many occasions throughout the year that provide excellent opportunities to give orange gift baskets, especially those that contain premium Florida citrus. People enjoy receiving fresh fruit because they are healthy, delicious, and make great tasting juice. Florida oranges are always a favorite because no other place in the world produces fresh oranges as sweet as this location.
Florida oranges are an ideal gift all year round and can be enjoyed in many different ways. Oranges can always be enjoyed on their own any time of the day and are a great complement to salads and other refreshing dishes. For the health-conscious recipient who enjoys drinking smoothies and shakes, oranges make a great addition because they can be used in many smoothie recipes.
Anniversaries are a popular occasion to give premium citrus gift baskets. Whether it is your anniversary, a close married couple that is dear to you, or a company anniversary, Florida fruit is always a good choice. Oranges are the perfect snack and drinking their freshly squeezed juice every day will help the recipient strong and healthy.
Your relative, client, boss, or friend’s birthday is a good time to send the gift of health with a citrus fruit basket. Write a short note when you gift oranges, perhaps a recipe idea to go along with them. They will know that you care by gifting healthy, hand picked Florida oranges.
The holidays are a perfect time to give fruit basket gifts to friends and family. A beautiful basket of fruit overflowing with fresh oranges offer a unique, yet healthy alternative that will definitely set you apart in the mind of the recipients. Winter season is an ideal time to send citrus fruit, especially oranges, to ward off illnesses. Gift baskets of fresh, hand-picked oranges and gourmet treats are great for the entire family.
There is no better way to show people that you care about them than giving them a gift of Florida oranges. Citrus fruit baskets are affordable, easy to find, and healthy. People of all ages will appreciate it when they receive sweet, juicy oranges, especially from Florida. Some online companies offer basket of oranges in several sizes and varieties, so you can choose the perfect citrus gift for the intended recipient. When it comes to giving gifts for any occasion, a basket of premium citrus Florida oranges will put a smile on anyone’s face.