5 Good Reasons to Eat More Fresh Tangerines
Tangerines fruit have supplied the world with delicious goodness for thousands of years now. Native to Southeast Asia, it’s sweet citrus taste and thin-skin, easy retrieval makes fresh tangerine one of the most popular healthy treats to eat among people of all ages.
Sometimes called a mandarin tangerine due to its close relation to the mandarin orange, there are literally hundreds of different varieties of the fruit. The most popular varieties include clementine, golden nugget, seedless tangerine and tangelo, which is a cross between a tangerine and grapefruit. Many people are casually aware of the benefits of eating tangerines, but very few realize its extreme nutritional value, read on to learn of five good reasons to eat more tangerines.
1. Rich in nutrition: Tangerines are packed with antioxidants that can help fight the free radicals responsible for disease formation and premature aging. They are an excellent source of vitamins A and C as well as iron, potassium, folate, fiber and flavonoids.
2. Supports a healthy digestive system: The antioxidant, fiber and gluten free properties of a tangerine orange make the fruit easy to digest. Consuming it on a regular basis can help in times of constipation and bloat.
3. Encourages detox: Like all other citrus fruits, tangerines are highly alkaline in nature, which makes the fruit very detoxing. The alkaline properties of tangerine can help sweep the body of built-up toxins and harsh acids.
4. Supports a healthy heart: Tangerines is a healthy heart food – the flavonoids and antioxidant compounds can help to speed up circulation and keep the arteries clean and clear of harmful plaque.
5. Natural stress busters: Tangerines can help deter negative feelings of stress and anxiety by producing neurotransmitters that help calm the nerves and encourages a continuous good mood.
In addition to the nutritional benefits mentioned above, the low calorie and high fiber content can also aid in weight loss. The best part about tangerines is the fact that they are widely available – you can purchase many varieties of tangerine online as well as at farmer’s markets and supermarkets. Moreover, you can buy a tangerine gift basket as a healthy gift for a loved one. Chinese legend states that giving the gift of tangerines means that you are bestowing happiness and prosperity onto the receiver.