Tangerines fruit have supplied the world with delicious goodness for thousands of years now. Native to Southeast Asia, it’s sweet citrus taste and thin-skin, easy retrieval makes fresh tangerine one of the most popular healthy treats to eat among people of all ages.
Sometimes called a mandarin tangerine due to its close relation to the mandarin orange, there are literally hundreds of different varieties of the fruit. The most popular varieties include clementine, golden nugget, seedless tangerine and tangelo, which is a cross between a tangerine and grapefruit. Many people are casually aware of the benefits of eating tangerines, but very few realize its extreme nutritional value, read on to learn of five good reasons to eat more tangerines.
1. Rich in nutrition: Tangerines are packed with antioxidants that can help fight the free radicals responsible for disease formation and premature aging. They are an excellent source of vitamins A and C as well as iron, potassium, folate, fiber and flavonoids.
2. Supports a healthy digestive system: The antioxidant, fiber and gluten free properties of a tangerine orange make the fruit easy to digest. Consuming it on a regular basis can help in times of constipation and bloat.
3. Encourages detox: Like all other citrus fruits, tangerines are highly alkaline in nature, which makes the fruit very detoxing. The alkaline properties of tangerine can help sweep the body of built-up toxins and harsh acids.
4. Supports a healthy heart: Tangerines is a healthy heart food – the flavonoids and antioxidant compounds can help to speed up circulation and keep the arteries clean and clear of harmful plaque.
5. Natural stress busters: Tangerines can help deter negative feelings of stress and anxiety by producing neurotransmitters that help calm the nerves and encourages a continuous good mood.
In addition to the nutritional benefits mentioned above, the low calorie and high fiber content can also aid in weight loss. The best part about tangerines is the fact that they are widely available – you can purchase many varieties of tangerine online as well as at farmer’s markets and supermarkets. Moreover, you can buy a tangerine gift basket as a healthy gift for a loved one. Chinese legend states that giving the gift of tangerines means that you are bestowing happiness and prosperity onto the receiver.
July 31, 2014 by Sean
Filed under Citrus Varieties, Clementines, Dazzling Deep Red Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Honey Tangerines, Honeybell Oranges - Honeybells, Robinson Tangerines, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Tangerines, White Grapefruit
People of all ages love Florida oranges because they are the sweetest and better tasting. But the usual oranges like Navels, Valencias and Temples, are not the only citrus varieties offering wonderful health benefits. Explore other varieties from the citrus family tree, sensations of health that are richly luscious and loaded with Vitamin C:
- Clementine – A relative of the tangerine, this small, sweet, and usually seedless variety of mandarin is best whole or in salads. They are available November through January.
- Tangelo – The most popular Florida tangelo variety available is the Minneola Tangelo, often called the Honeybell Tangelo. Known by its distinctive bell shape, the result of a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit for a remarkably sweet and juicy fruit. Honeybells are in season from January through February.
- Tangerines – Tangerines are small, dark orange fruits with a smooth, easy-to-peel skin and a deep orange color. They have a richly sweet flavor and are easy to pull-apart due to their naturally formed segments. Tangerines are ideal for desserts or as a sweet nibble and are readily available November through April.
- Ortaniques – The Ortanique is a cross between a sweet Valencia Orange and a Tangerine. Ortaniques are bright orange color with a rich sweet flavor, and are easy to peel and section. This wonderful hybrid blend received its truly unique name from OR-orange, TAN-gerine, un-IQUE. Like other premium citrus, they’re simply not available in supermarkets, but are found online directly from Florida growers and are available March thru Mid-April.
Grapefruits are known for their tangy sweet taste. Interior fruit colors range from bright pink, deep red to white. Perfect for peeling, cutting, sectioning and juicing, the grapefruit can be eaten as a refreshing snack, in salads and recipes or just drink their wholesome juice. The Florida grapefruit varieties available nationwide are:
- Dark Red Grapefruit – Also known as Flame, Ray or Star. The fruit is known for its exceptionally intense dark red, seedless interior and sweet flavor with hardly any bitterness. The rind is smooth and yellow with blush pigmentation. This grapefruit variety is in season from October through June.
- Red Grapefruit – Often called the Ruby Red Grapefruit, this type of grapefruit is known for its lighter red interior color and also for being seedless. The rind is smooth and yellow with a red blush. Ruby Red’s sweet flavor and seedless characteristics make it perfect for sectioning. They are in season from October through April.
- White grapefruit – Sweet White Grapefruit are a welcome guest at any connoisseur’s table. Known for their thin smooth skin and big roll-up-your-sleeves flavor, filled with an abundance of sweet invigorating juice, they are perfect for fresh eating, salads and refreshing juice. They are in season from November through April.
January 12, 2014 by Sean
Filed under Christmas Gifts, Citrus Baskets, Clementines, Fitness, Fresh Fruit, Fruit Baskets, Gift Baskets, Grapefruit, Health, Holidays, Honeybell Oranges - Honeybells, New Year's Gifts, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Shopping, White Grapefruit
Fruit baskets are gifts that are commonly associated with Christmas. Ever since people started celebrating Christmas fresh fruit has been a part of the celebration. Giving fresh fruit is also a great way to give a healthy gift when people are already surrounded by sugary sweets and treats. Originally fruit was given as Christmas gifts because it was healthy, sweet, and hard to get during the winter. Keeping the tradition of giving fruit alive by giving fruit baskets is very important to a lot of people. If you want to find the best fruit gifts for your friends and family these are the best websites to buy fruit baskets from:
Hale Groves— If you want the best quality citrus fruit in the fruit gifts you give order from Hale Groves. Famous for great quality and great service Hale Groves is the best place to get fruit baskets for the holidays. All of the fruit is grown in the Indian River fruit district. It’s picked just before shipment so it’s always fresh. Hale Groves’ fruit is very affordable. There are fruit baskets in every price range from budget friendly baskets of oranges and grapefruit to luxury baskets filled with Honeybells, Clementines and other high-end gifts. You can also customize baskets by adding on items like fresh fruit preserves or cakes. The best holiday fruit baskets come from Hale Groves.
Edible Arrangements— Edible Arrangements fruit baskets are great for the holidays. They offer several types of fruit baskets that contain everything from simple fruit assortments to chocolate dipped tropical fruit. They also offer other types of gift baskets that contain unique treats. Edible Arrangements are great for budget conscious shoppers. Just be aware that the fruit baskets don’t contain a lot of fruit in most cases unless you spend a lot of money. Chocolate dipped fruit and other treats also may be subject to special shipping regulations based on factors like the time of the year or the shipment address.
Harry and David— Harry and David fruit baskets filled with their signature pears are as much a part of Christmas as oranges in the Christmas stockings. Leave a few Harry and David pears out for Santa instead of cookies if Santa is on a healthy diet this year. The juicy and sweet taste of Harry and David pears will make Santa’s day. Harry and David fruit baskets can be expensive, but their pears and other fruits are always high quality.