Storing fresh citrus fruits can sometimes seem mysterious. Even when you think you have properly handled and stored your Florida citrus fruit, it spoils and you are left wondering what you did wrong.
Citrus fruit, like all fruit, has certain requirements to ensure that it stays fresh for the longest period possible. Learning these few simple tricks will help you make the most of orange citrus fruits. If you have recently received citrus fruit gift baskets you will want to follow these tips to make sure you get the most out of your lovely Indian citrus fruits.
Most of the items you would receive in Florida citrus fruit gift baskets can be stored at room temperature for several days. This is a bonus, and can make storing Florida citrus fruit gifts quite simple at first. However, if you find that you and your family do not eat all of your exotic citrus fruit at once, you will want to store the rest of the fruit in a plastic bag to expand its longevity. Also placing your fruit in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator is also recommended for items received in citrus fruit baskets
Long Term Storage
If you feel that you have a large amount of citrus fruit which you want to store for longer periods of time then you may want to consider freezing your citrus. Many people do not realize that citrus can be frozen for later use.
Juicing the fruit and freezing is one way to make sure you get use out of the fruit much later. Peels or zests can also be refrigerated or frozen for cooking purposes later on. Although whole citrus fruits cannot be frozen, you can create delicious healthy deserts with your citrus by using it in sorbet recipes.
Other Ways of Preserving
There are other methods of preserving citrus fruit as well. If you are willing to invest the time and energy you can turn your citrus fruits into delicious fruit leather. Fruit leather is a type of dehydrated fruit, which can provide healthy snacks for kids and grownups alike.
Certain types of citrus such as grapefruit and mandarin oranges do well canned as well. Use a trusted canning recipe and be sure to follow directions precisely to ensure the life of the fruit.
Everyone loves oranges because they are the sweetest and better tasting of the citrus fruits. Oranges help boost the immune system and nourish the body with important nutrients it needs to fight off diseases. With a sweet and juicy interior, oranges are perfect for a light and healthy snack. Here are the most popular varieties and their typical availability:
1. Navel Oranges – Navel oranges are large and round with a deep yellowish-orange color. The skin is stony with a medium-thick peel. Navel oranges are usually seedless and really easy to peel and are in season from November through February. Other types of Navels are the Holiday Red Navel Oranges, in season November through December, and the Western Navel Oranges from growers in California’s San Joaquin Valley, which are in season January through May.
2. Temple Oranges – Temples are Florida’s finest eating oranges, with an oval shape and deep orange color. They have a rich sweet and tangy flavor, are easy to peel or section, and few seeds. Temple Oranges are in season from January through February.
3. Valencia Oranges – Valencias have a juicy, rich flavor and aroma. It is medium to large in size, a round-to-oval shape, and a yellow to orange color that sometimes can be tinged green. The Valencia Oranges has a smooth texture with a thin peel and are in season from March through June.
4. Clementines – Small oranges with a deep and glossy orange exterior that is a relative of the tangerine. Clementines are a small and usually seedless variety of the mandarin. They are refreshing, both sweet and tart, and best whole or in salads. They are usually available November through January.
5. Tangelos – Known by their distinctive bell shape, tangelos are the result of a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit for a remarkably sweet and juicy fruit. They are loaded with sweetly tart juice and have a stony texture skin, which is fairly easy to peel. Tangelos are in season November through December. The most popular tangelo variety is the Minneola Tangelo, often called the Honeybell Tangelo. Honeybells have a deep red-orange color with a very sweet flavor, high juice content and only a few seeds. Honeybell Tangelos are in season from December through February.
6. Tangerines – Tangerines are a small, dark orange fruit with an easy-to-peel or “zipper” skin, and a rich and honey sweet juice. Tangerines are ideal for desserts or as a sweet nibble. Some of the tangerine varieties available nationwide are Sunburst or Treasure Coast Tangerines, in season November through April, and the Murcott or Honey Tangerines, available February through April.
7. Ortaniques – Ortaniques are a rare cross between a sweet Valencia Orange and a Tangerine. They have a bright orange color, a rich sweet flavor and are easy to peel and section. This hybrid blend received its unique name from OR-orange, TAN-gerine, un-IQUE. Richly luscious and loaded with Vitamin C, the Ortanique is perfect for eating fresh as a snack and for juicing. These oranges can only be found online, directly from Florida growers. Available March through April.
July 31, 2014 by Sean
Filed under Citrus Varieties, Clementines, Dazzling Deep Red Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Honey Tangerines, Honeybell Oranges - Honeybells, Robinson Tangerines, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Tangerines, White Grapefruit
People of all ages love Florida oranges because they are the sweetest and better tasting. But the usual oranges like Navels, Valencias and Temples, are not the only citrus varieties offering wonderful health benefits. Explore other varieties from the citrus family tree, sensations of health that are richly luscious and loaded with Vitamin C:
- Clementine – A relative of the tangerine, this small, sweet, and usually seedless variety of mandarin is best whole or in salads. They are available November through January.
- Tangelo – The most popular Florida tangelo variety available is the Minneola Tangelo, often called the Honeybell Tangelo. Known by its distinctive bell shape, the result of a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit for a remarkably sweet and juicy fruit. Honeybells are in season from January through February.
- Tangerines – Tangerines are small, dark orange fruits with a smooth, easy-to-peel skin and a deep orange color. They have a richly sweet flavor and are easy to pull-apart due to their naturally formed segments. Tangerines are ideal for desserts or as a sweet nibble and are readily available November through April.
- Ortaniques – The Ortanique is a cross between a sweet Valencia Orange and a Tangerine. Ortaniques are bright orange color with a rich sweet flavor, and are easy to peel and section. This wonderful hybrid blend received its truly unique name from OR-orange, TAN-gerine, un-IQUE. Like other premium citrus, they’re simply not available in supermarkets, but are found online directly from Florida growers and are available March thru Mid-April.
Grapefruits are known for their tangy sweet taste. Interior fruit colors range from bright pink, deep red to white. Perfect for peeling, cutting, sectioning and juicing, the grapefruit can be eaten as a refreshing snack, in salads and recipes or just drink their wholesome juice. The Florida grapefruit varieties available nationwide are:
- Dark Red Grapefruit – Also known as Flame, Ray or Star. The fruit is known for its exceptionally intense dark red, seedless interior and sweet flavor with hardly any bitterness. The rind is smooth and yellow with blush pigmentation. This grapefruit variety is in season from October through June.
- Red Grapefruit – Often called the Ruby Red Grapefruit, this type of grapefruit is known for its lighter red interior color and also for being seedless. The rind is smooth and yellow with a red blush. Ruby Red’s sweet flavor and seedless characteristics make it perfect for sectioning. They are in season from October through April.
- White grapefruit – Sweet White Grapefruit are a welcome guest at any connoisseur’s table. Known for their thin smooth skin and big roll-up-your-sleeves flavor, filled with an abundance of sweet invigorating juice, they are perfect for fresh eating, salads and refreshing juice. They are in season from November through April.
All around Florida, visitors may see citrus fruit such as the Indian River oranges being sold. These fresh citrus oranges are some of the healthiest fruits on the planet and make delicious pure orange juice. For those who have not tried these Florida oranges, you should definitely buy them because they are amazingly sweeter and better tasting than others on the market.
Fresh fruit like oranges are extremely healthy for everyone, which makes them an ideal staple at home and as citrus gifts. Juice that is made from premium grade Florida oranges makes an excellent nutrient-rich beverage. If you are thinking of something to give your clients, boss, friends, or loved ones, you may want to consider giving them the gift of health and you can order oranges online from the comfort of your home.
Premium citrus from Florida is rich in antioxidants; in fact, just an 8-ounce glass of orange juice made from Florida oranges already contains 100 percent of the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin C. Antioxidants are crucial for helping the body delay signs of aging as well as fight chronic diseases by fighting the presence of free radicals. When you send fresh oranges, you are giving a fruit gift that has the highest Vitamin C content. Your recipients will love a gift basket overflowing with a variety of freshly picked oranges.
Buying Florida oranges online is an excellent gift for any occasion and provides incredible health benefits with an extremely delicious taste. When you mail order oranges from Florida, you are also helping others have better heart health. Consuming pure orange juice helps normalize cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure functions, and it may ease inflammation. If you rather have a lighter version of the orange juice, use a fresh fruit infuser to combine both juice and water, and add orange slices.
Shipping fruit from Florida is a great and convenient gift idea that is also healthy and affordable. When you buy Florida fruit gifts, you are already getting the best citrus. So, if you are not sure about what gift to buy for a special occasion or the holidays, remember that citrus fruit baskets are a unique way to surprise your recipient who will surely enjoy them!
Are you trying some of the trendy diets like the Paleo Diet? Or are you eating Gluten Free? Regardless of what type of diet you are following Florida oranges should be part of your daily diet. Florida oranges are naturally gluten free and are part of the Paleo Diet. Citrus fruit is also very low in calories. Most oranges have less than 80 calories each. Fresh fruit is packed with vitamins and minerals that your body needs to stay healthy. Eating fresh citrus fruit daily will help you stay healthy throughout the year.
The number one reason why people say they don’t eat healthy is because it’s not convenient. They say it’s much easier to eat out or eat snacks from the vending machine instead of packing healthy snacks. But Florida oranges make it easy to eat healthy even when you’re busy. Oranges and other citrus fruits come with their own wrapper. That layer of thick rind means that you can take oranges, tangerines and other fruit anywhere. Even if it falls on the ground you can still eat it. You can leave oranges in the car or in your desk at work and they will stay fresh and delicious. You can use fresh orange juice in smoothies or other quick breakfasts if you are rushing out the door. Peel a Florida orange and mix some of the fresh juice and a few segments into a cup of Greek yogurt and you get a quick and healthy breakfast that you can eat in the car or on the train.
The truth is that it’s easy to eat healthy if you make it a priority. Fresh citrus fruit is a great way to the vitamins and minerals that you need. It’s also a smart way to trick your body into thinking that you are eating something bad for you because oranges are so sweet and tasty. Substitute a fresh orange for your afternoon candy bar and you will be amazed at how much natural energy you have. A piece of citrus fruit is the best type of snack that you can eat because it will give you the energy you need without a lot of calories. And naturally sweet oranges don’t have processed sugar which means you won’t have to struggle with the fatigue that comes after a sugar rush. Keep plenty of Florida oranges in your pantry and keep eating healthy.