These pretty, dreamy cupcakes are light and oh-so-delicious! A moist and summery-tasting dessert, they go well when served for brunch, at a bridal or baby shower, or afternoon tea. Apply the orange glaze over the blueberry tops while the cupcakes are still warm!
For the cupcakes:
1¼ c. all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sea salt
½ c. soft butter, softened
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
Zest of half of 1 large orange
⅔ c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
⅔ c. buttermilk, at room temperature
¾ c. fresh blueberries rinsed, dried and stems removed (plus a few more for garnish)
For the glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
Zest of half 1 large orange
2 Tbsp. orange juice
- For the cupcakes: Place oven rack in center position and preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Blend flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, coconut oil and half of orange zest until smooth. Add vanilla extract and eggs (one egg at a time), mixing until well blended. Add buttermilk and flour alternately and mix until smooth. Gently stir in blueberries by hand.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners (about ¾ full). Tap pan on counter to take out any bubbles. Add 2-3 blueberries to top of batter, pressing in slightly. Bake 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar, remaining zest and juice. Apply to cupcakes by spoonfuls (thinning with juice if necessary) while cupcakes are still warm. Use back of spoon to spread icing almost to the edges. Cool and serve.