Tart, fresh grapefruit juice adds a kick to this twist on the classic lemon bar. These pink grapefruit bars have a wonderfully buttery crust and a sweet-tart grapefruit custard. Topped with a generous amount of powdered sugar, they’ll be your new citrus favorite!
For the crust:
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
⅛ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 pink grapefruit, zested
¼ cup grapefruit juice
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8″×8″ baking pan and line with parchment paper so that it overhangs sides of pan slightly; grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), scraping the sides occasionally. Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed until combined. Transfer the dough to the bottom of the pan and press evenly into the space with fingers.
- Bake until lightly browned (about 15-18 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling. In a medium bowl add the eggs and sugar. Whisk vigorously for about 1 minute or slightly thick. Add the flour, grapefruit juice and zest. Whisk well, then pour the filling over the warm, baked crust.
- Bake until lightly browned on top and no longer jiggling in the center (about 18-20 minutes). Cool completely in pan. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan. Slice grapefruit bars into 16 squares. Use the overhanging parchment paper to lift the squares out. To store, place squares in an airtight container separated by wax paper layers to prevent sticking.