Growing a peach tree requires a few basics like well-drained soil, a regular supply of water, and full sun which means the tree needs sunlight at least 6 to 8 hours each day to help them grow faster and healthier during growth season. Keep in mind that peach trees cannot survive in full shade however they can grow in partial shade but not as well as the peach trees that receive full sun.
In the United States, Georgia is known as the Peach State because of its mass production of peaches every year! A bite of a Georgia peach can sweeten up your summer! Georgia peaches take about three months to grow and reach their peak in August which is also National Peach Month.
South Carolina is also known for producing quality peaches, and some claim them to be tastier than Georgia’s. They are second in peach production because of the large amount of sweet and juicy peaches they produce. Peach season in South Carolina runs through May and August.
Variety of Peaches
Pit Types – Freestone Peaches and Clingstone Peaches
If the stone of the peach sticks to the flesh of the fruit, it’s called a Clingstone peach. Clingstone Peaches ripen in the early season. “Spring Prince” is an example of a clingstone peach which is grown in the US. When the peach pit is loosely attached to the flesh, it’s called a Freestone Peach. Freestone Peaches ripen in mid to late season.
Doughnut shaped Peach
The flat doughnut-shaped peach was originally cultivated in China and refined in New Jersey to produce the “Saturn” cultivar. They bloom and produce in the early season.
Yellow and White Flesh Peaches
Mostly peaches have yellow and white flesh. The “White” or “Diamond Princess” is a freestone peach and has a balanced flavor of sweet and tart. This peach blooms and ripens in midseason. The “Belle of Georgia” is a blushed-red colored peach and has a succulent white flesh that ripens in late August.
This type of peach has a lighter flavor than the usual peach with deep and tasty flavor. Nectarines, unlike other peaches, lack the peach fuzz on their smooth skin and some people like to eat them raw.
Health Benefits of Peaches
- Good source of Vitamin C and minerals. Peach has several micronutrients like Vitamin A and B-complex.
- Peaches are also packed with antioxidants that help repair skin cells and give you that glowing radiant healthy look. They are also beneficial in protecting your body from diseases.
- Peaches can also help improve your digestive system like other fruits. One peach contains 2 grams of dietary fiber which help aid or lessen the probability of constipation.
- Peaches contain Polyphenols which is a compound that is beneficial in protecting your body against various cancers.
- Eating peaches regularly may lower the risk of having hypertension, cholesterol, and heart disease. This fruit can enhance your heart health.