Bursting with juicy, tangy-sweet mulberries, these moist and delicious muffins are the perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee. With a limited amount of sugar to allow the fruit flavor to shine through, these controlled-portion muffins are a treat you can feel good about.
2 c. flour, + more for dusting
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ c. unsalted butter
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. whole milk
1 c. fresh mulberries
¾ c. mulberry jam or preserves (or other berry preserve)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour or line a muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon to medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine, then set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter on medium until fluffy (about one minute). Add sugar and beat another minute. Add eggs one at a time; mix after each addition. Add vanilla and beat for another minute.
- Add flour mixture to mixer in batches, alternating with milk. Mix just until all ingredients are incorporated, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Toss mulberries with a small amount of flour, then fold into batter. Divide batter between prepared muffin cups.
- Make hole in top of each muffin and add 1 tablespoon of mulberry jam (or other jam/preserves). Swirl jam into batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 30 minutes).
- Cool muffins for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.