Pomegranate is wonderful when served with granola, ice cream, or oatmeal, but it’s also great for adding pizzazz to savor dishes, too! This easy, nutritious recipe makes a wonderful side dish at a holiday meal or any meal. Spicy Za’atar and smoked paprika add tons of flavor to the subtle taste of the asparagus.
2 Tbsp. oil
4 garlic cloves
1″ knob of ginger
1 bunch asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
1 tsp. Za’atar
½ tsp. smoked paprika
2 Tbsp. pomegranate arils
Lemon wedges, for serving
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse asparagus and snap off tough, bottom ends. Place tops in a bowl of cold water to remove remaining debris; rinse and allow to dry on paper towels.
- Peel and dice together onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic and sauté, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes. Add asparagus; sprinkle with za’atar and smoked paprika and stir well. Sauté 5-6 minutes.
- While asparagus is sautéing, cut open the pomegranate and release the arils. Set aside.
- When asparagus is done, remove pan from heat. Squeeze lemon over the asparagus, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic, and spices along with asparagus mixture into a serving dish and sprinkle pomegranate arils over top. Serve.