You can always buy the fruits you will serve your family and friends, but wouldn’t it be nice to grow your own tree and have healthy and nutritious fruits within your arm’s reach? If this thought has crossed your mind, then now is the right time for you to search for a lemon lime tree for sale online and start growing your own lemon lime tree at home.
Lemon and Lime
There are many fruit trees to choose from, however, lemon and lime citrus trees are two of the best options you can get. Why? Let me tell you:
- Lemon Lime trees are available in standard and dwarf sizes making them a great option for those who have limited space at home. The dwarf lime tree height is just around 6 to 10 feet when planted directly in the ground and can be kept lower when planted in a pot.
- Both the Lemon and Lime trees are evergreen, meaning you can just sit down and relax as you enjoy gazing at the green leaves that never wither no matter what season it is. Be amazed by the white, tiny, beautiful blossoms that turn into lemons or limes when the fruiting season begins. Aside from the aesthetic appeal the lemon lime fruit tree gives your house, it also emits a refreshing floral, citrusy scent that leaves your house smelling good all the time.
- Whether you pick a lemon or lime tree, rest assured that you will not find it hard to grow them. Also, the benefits of growing them are fully rewarding. Furthermore, lemon lime tree hybrids and the regular ones are cold hardy and can withstand temperatures around 30° for hours without any significant damage.
- You can use the fruits from dwarf lemon lime tree or hybrid lemon lime tree to season and add flavor to your fish, seafood, chicken and other meat dishes. Make decadent desserts like Mango-Lime Ricotta Parfaits, make refreshing limeade infused with cilantro and syrup, or other iconic drinks like Eggnog-lime Lassi or daiquiris. You can also simply bake cookies, biscuits, or the famous Key Lime Pie.
Lime Tree Varieties
Now that you are convinced that growing a lime tree is great, which cultivar should you grow? Let me introduce you to different cultivars including the lemon lime hybrid tree or cocktail tree lemon lime.
- Bearrs Lime Tree – Also called Persian lime and Tahiti lime, Bearrs lime tree is a tri-hybrid tree with genes coming from pummelo, citron and micro-citrus. It has a spreading from, nearly-thornless droopy branches, broad green leaves, white blooms, and produces limes as big as lemons. Its fruits are a savory blend of lemon and lime without the acidity, and boasts of a spicy aroma you will not find in other cultivars. If you are interested in buying a Persian lime tree for sale keep in mind that a standard tree can grow up to 15 to 20 feet in height, while the dwarf Bearss Lime tree can grow up to 6 to 10 feet high when planted directly into the ground but can be kept smaller if planted in a container.
- Kaffir Lime Tree – When you do your search you might come across standard-sized Kaffir Lime trees for sale and Dwarf Kaffir lime tree for sale. Kaffir Lime Tree Florida is famous for its remarkable glossy, jade-green leaves that looked very similar to two conjoined leaves. They are mostly used to give a spicy-lemon taste to different dishes. Kaffir limes, which are dark-green limes that have unsightly and irregular bumps, are seldom used because they are overly sour and have a bitter taste. If you wish to get a Kaffir Lime Tree for sale understand that Kaffir Lime tree pruning is a must to ensure a healthy growth cycle for the growing tree. Prune and create an open vase-like crown, while removing shoots that grow below the graft union. Make sure to cut away diseased or spindly legs to prevent any disease from spreading all throughout the tree and at the same time allow circulation and sunlight to pass through.
- Lemon Lime Cocktail Tree – You may find it hard to believe but there is such a thing as a Cocktail Tree wherein one tree produces 2 different fruits. The Meyer Lemon Key Lime Cocktail Tree is propagated using grafting process wherein two healthy budwoods taken from both a Meyer Lemon Tree and a Key Lime Tree are grafted to a citrus rootstock and nurtured in nurseries until ready to be sold. This dwarf lemon lime tree hybrid is an evergreen, ever-blooming tree that is cold hardy, and is pest and disease resistant. When you buy this tree, you get to enjoy not just one, but two types of healthy, home-grown fruits.
- Key Lime Tree – This bushy citrus tree has spindling branches laden with thorns. It produces aromatic white blooms that, once pollinated, turn into Key Limes that boast a unique sweet-tart flavor all their own. With these famous limes you can make numerous tasty desserts like Key Lime-Pie Sundaes, Mango-Key Lime tarts, Key Lime Pie, Key Lime Cupcakes, and so much more.